Saturday, December 16, 2006

Thanksgiving

We had Thanksgiving (note the name of the holiday is neither T-day nor Turkey Day. It is Thanksgiving, with a capital T, and a grateful reminder of the One to whom we offer thanks.) up at my sister's house this year. Last year we had it at our house, and all of Elfriend's family came in from out-of-town. They couldn't make it this year, so it was just my side of the family. I provided the turkey (frozen, on Monday), and brought the stuffing and candied sweet potatoes. Elfriend made rolls, like he frequently does, and pumpkin pie, made from real pumpkin. My sister made green bean casserole, and a couple other things I've forgotten. Mom cooked the turkey, and made a couple of different kinds of bread, and probably some other stuff.

I went grocery shopping that Wednesday, since it didn't look like I was going to be able to go out on Friday, like I usually do, so I wasn't around to make the crusts for Elfriend's pies. I don't know what it is, but he has considerable trouble making pie crusts, they always come out, thick, dry, and hard to roll. I can't make the edges pretty, like they look on magazines and such, but the crusts themselves come out fine. I don't know what the problem with Elfriend's pie crusts are, a different recipe, over-working the dough, not adding enough water, or what.

We went over noonish, ate, the kids at ore table, and us at another. Gidget had made a really nice Thanksgiving banner at school (with Thanksgiving spelled out in buttons, feathers, noodles, glitter, and a whole other bunch of stuff), and they hung that over the front window.

Then we did the usual clean-up, and the kids went out to play, and we sat around talking.

It was a good day.

No comments: