Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Senior Tax Day at the Library

It appears to be Senior Tax Day at the library today. They've taken up most of the tables, and I hear people talking about taxes, both Missouri and Federal.

Unfortunately, they took my usual spot, so I'm having to sit at a table that's much left comfortable. The one I'm usually at is really a booth seat, like at a fast foot place. Neither the seats nor the table are fastened down, so I can move them to a comfortable distance apart, and the booth seat hits my back at just the right spot to be comfortable. Most of the other seats at tables aren't quite as comfortable. And they have some really comfortable chairs with an attached desk-board on one side, but it's not at a comfortable level for typing. Sometime I'll sit there if I just want to write on paper.

I'm having more difficulty working on my story this morning because the noise, though not really all that much louder, is much more purposeful than usual. I got a couple hundred words in, though, so I'll consider it a win. (After I wrote this, I found a table on the other side of the library that was much quieter. Still not as comfortable as my normal table, but I was able to write a couple hundred more words and finish the scene.)

I've tried writing at Panera at times before. I have the same problem that only some of the seats really hit my back in the right spot, though there the chairs are more comfortable than the booths. And there's a McDonald's near by that also has comfortable booths, and is even pretty quiet (probably because the noisy kids are all in the play area instead of the restaurant proper).

***

A few years back, my folks gave both Jonathan and I initialed attache bags, suitable for carrying files, with slots for pens and cards, etc. Jonathan's gotten quite a bit of use with his over the years, but I've not had much reason for using mine. But it's just the right size for slipping in my Neo and a journal, and even my Nook, if I feel like it, so I dug it out and have been using it for lugging my stuff to the library these last couple of days. It works pretty well, though I think I'm going to see if I can sew a division into one of the sides, to keep the Nook and journal from bumping into each other.

No comments: